Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to be a member to attend the conference?
No, all are welcome; there are member and non-member rates for the core conference; members are given preference when it comes to limited space in workshops and field trips.
What does my fee include?
The core conference consists of 3 days of 20-90 minute presentations designed to increase your knowledge of the field of scientific illustration as well as to provide further education about the business considerations of this career. Presentations generally fall under the following types:
- Keynote speaker(s) (often a scientist, artist or both; topics usually relate to conference themes)
- Thematic lectures (paleo or life science sessions, for example) which offer several presentations under a general theme
- Lectures on various topics of concern to illustrators, including digital and traditional illustration techniques, business practices, and topics relating to the natural sciences
- Education, digital and business roundtable discussions in which you are invited to bring questions and pose them to panels of GSNI experts
- Explanations of specific illustration projects individual members have taken on in their work, such as murals, book projects, or exhibits
- Technique Showcase where digital and traditional illustration techniques are demonstrated
Other events included in the core conference are:
- Portfolio Sharing — members bring their own portfolios to share in a casual atmosphere.
- Juried Art Exhibit & Reception
- Annual Auction to benefit the Guild — proceeds are split 50/50 between the GNSI General Fund and Education Fund; items are donated by members.
- The GNSI Business Meeting, Wednesday, July 8th is open to all members and we encourage you to attend! Lunch is included and is part of your core fee.
- Member's Annual Banquet — all are welcome; an extra fee for your dinner applies.
Can I register for one or two days of the core conference?
Yes, you may sign up for the entire core conference or register per day.
What about workshops and field trips?
Workshops & Field Trips take place apart from the core conference are paid for on an individual basis. They are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, with preference given to members in the event of limited space. So be sure to register early to ensure a spot in your desired class. This year, workshops will be held July 9th and July 10th, and field trips will occur throughout the week (July 6th to July 11th).
Can I sign up for field trips and workshops without registering for the core conference?
Yes. People who elect to skip the core conference still must fill out a registration form, but only need to pay for the activity in which they are enrolling. Family/friends/significant others who want to go on field trips only may sign up on the same form as their Official Conference Attendee. If they are going to be attending any of the core conference day activities they need to fill out a registration form of their own and pay for the core conference at the non-member price.
Can family/friends/significant others attend the banquet?
Yes, provided they pay the appropriate meal fee.
Any particular dress for the evening events?
No, they are fairly casual affairs and usually folks wear what is comfortable. We hope to see you there!
What art supplies will I need to bring?
Workshop instructors will provide material lists when you sign up. You might bring your own sketching materials and a camera for field trips or general sightseeing.
Can I order merchandise without attending the conference?
We do not ship merchandise; if you would like to purchase items, you will have to get someone who is attending to pick it up for you. Some items may be available for purchase at the registration desk.